So, it’s been a lifelong dream of mine to keep chickens – and now we’re in The Dingle, I can finally do it! Hurrah!
So on Saturday just gone, we headed over to Wynne’s of Dinmore, which is just a few miles away, and wandered around their farm.
They have, as well as everything chicken-related, alpacas for sale. Look at this dude! They look like 80s pop stars, they’re ace. But they’ve got batshit-crazy eyes and they just kinda stare at you, so we’re not getting alpacas.
We might, however, get a couple of pygmy goats because you’ve never seen anything so cute as a baby pygmy goat.
Anyway – we’ve ordered a chicken house, all the gubbins to get us started, and three Calder Ranger hybrid hens. I’m expecting a call today and I’m ridiculously excited. We’re hoping they’ll all arrive before the bank holiday weekend so we can get to know them.
In other news, here’s what else we’ve accomplished so far:
- Settled in nicely
- Cooked two meals in the Rayburn, which were delicious (lasagne and a tagine)
- Let the cats out for their first explore (nervous, us?)
- Taken out a dead stump and a dead apple tree
- Planted our three trees: a Victoria plum, a conference pear, and an apple
- Mowed the lawn many times
- Got broadband sorted
- Planted a miniature herbery (mint, oregano, curry, parsley – we’ll see if the mint goes mental)
We’ve not done much in the way of, well, anything yet. We’re going to live in the cottage for a couple of months before we make any big decisions… but we are going to start stripping wallpaper and Getting Stuff Done over the bank holiday weekend.
Watch this space…